If uncomfortable, acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) may help. Don't give children aspirin as it may cause a rare, serious condition.
When to seek immediate medical care
See a doctor immediately if:
- Younger than 3 months and 100.4 F (38 C) or higher
- Three to 6 months old and 102 F (38.9 C) or higher
- Six to 24 months old, 102 F (38.9 C) or higher, and lasts more than a day
- Age 2 or older with fever and listless, irritable, or vomiting repeatedly
- Adult and 103 F (39.4 C) or higher