Diseases and Conditions

Tricuspid atresia

Lifestyle and home remedies

Here are some tips for caring for your child with tricuspid atresia:

  • Strive for good nutrition. Your baby might not be getting enough calories because of tiring during feeding and an increased need for calories. It's often helpful to give your baby frequent, small feedings.

    Breast milk is an excellent source of nutrition, but if your baby isn't getting enough nutrition because of tiring during feeding, your doctor might prescribe a special high-calorie formula. Some babies might need to be fed through a feeding tube.

  • Preventive antibiotics. Your or your child's cardiologist will likely recommend preventive antibiotics be taken before certain dental and other procedures to prevent bacteria from infecting the inner lining of the heart (infective endocarditis).

    Practicing good oral hygiene — brushing and flossing teeth, getting regular dental checkups — also helps prevent infection.

  • Stay active. Encourage as much normal play and activity as you or your child can tolerate or as your doctor recommends, with ample opportunity for rest. Staying active helps your or your child's heart stay fit.
  • Keep up with routine medical and well-child care. Standard immunizations are encouraged for children with congenital heart defects, as well as vaccines against the flu, pneumonia and respiratory syncytial virus infections. Your child should take all medications as prescribed.
  • Keep follow-up appointments with your or your child's doctor. Your child will need at least annual appointments with a doctor trained in congenital heart conditions. Your child's doctor is likely to recommend several tests to evaluate your or your child's heart condition.

Adults with tricuspid atresia

If you're an adult with tricuspid atresia, you need to be seen regularly throughout your life by a doctor trained in adult congenital heart conditions. Your doctor is likely to recommend regular tests to evaluate your condition at these appointments.

Your doctor might recommend that you take preventive antibiotics before certain dental or medical procedures to prevent infective endocarditis.

Ask your doctor about what activities are best for you, and if there are sports or activities that you should limit or avoid.

Tricuspid atresia and pregnancy

Women with tricuspid atresia who are considering pregnancy should talk to a doctor who specializes in adult congenital heart diseases as well as a maternal-fetal medicine specialist. If you do become pregnant, it's best to see a doctor who specializes in pregnancies in women with congenital heart disease.

For women who have had a Fontan procedure, pregnancy will be considered high-risk. Some women, such as those with a history of heart failure, will be discouraged from becoming pregnant.