A core clinical site is a hospital/health system that provides clerkships for third year medical students and required core and elective rotations for fourth year medical students. Clinical rotations for nurse practitioner students are also arranged in and around core site hospitals. Housing is available for students training in St. Joseph and Maryville.
Student Success Stories
“Rotating in northwest Missouri has been an exceptional experience. I can honestly say that every preceptor invests in my education and contributes to making me better prepared for my future. The best part of rotating here has without a doubt been the people I have encountered. The AHEC staff, nurses, physicians and patients are all integral parts of what makes this an amazing place to learn. It is also incredibly rewarding to be back in northwest Missouri to serve and learn from the same communities that gave me so much growing up. I am truly excited to see what the remainder of my time here brings!
– Mikaila Wallace, 3rd year medical student Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
"I am so thankful that Mosaic and AHEC have the passion to Grow Their Own. I have had the opportunity to work with AHEC since high school, and they have been sculpting me into the best physician I can be. The physicians that I have had the pleasure to learn from are so willing to teach and strive to teach me something new everyday. I know that the experience I am receiving here is exceptional, and I am so excited to be back home for my rotations!"
– Jordan Snook, third-year medical student, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
“The opportunities and guidance that AHEC provides to students is an essential component in the journey to medical school or other professional school admittance. There is no doubt they made the difference in my application and set me apart both on paper and in person.”
– Kasey McDonald, third-year medical student, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
Visit some of our clinical training communities
St. Joseph, Mo.
Mosaic Medical Center - St. Joseph in St. Joseph was established as the northwest Missouri AHEC hub site for clinical training in the 1996.
St. Joseph is the largest city in northwest Missouri and is located on I-29 and Hwy 36, 35 miles north of Kansas City International Airport and 130 miles south of Omaha, Nebraska. Its population is about 76,000 and the town is home to Missouri Western State University and the Kansas City Chiefs training camp.
The ratio of students to preceptors is 1:1, and generally the preceptors have clinic offices and hold privileges to attend patients at Mosaic Medical Center - St. Joseph
For more information, please contact the clinical coordinator at NWMO AHEC.
Rotations available at Mosaic Medical Center - St. Joseph include:
- Family Medicine
- Rural Family Medicine
- General Internal Medicine
- General Surgery
- Adult Infectious Disease
Within a commutable distance of St. Joseph, students can experience more rural medicine in the towns of Gower, Maysville, and Cameron.
- Mosaic Medical Center - St. Joseph
- St. Joseph Tourism, Buchanan County
- Made with Uncommon Character
- St. Joseph Demographics
- St. Joseph AHEC House
- Directions to Northwest Missouri AHEC, St. Joseph, Mo
Mosaic Medical Center - Maryville offers core clinical rotations in family medicine, internal medicine, surgery, ob-gyn, and psychiatry.
Maryville is located on 71 Hwy 40 minutes of St. Joseph, and is between Kansas City, Missouri, Des Moines, Iowa, and Omaha, Nebraska. Its population is about 10,500 and the town is home to Northwest Missouri State University.
- Maryville - Mosaic Medical Center - Maryville
- Maryville, Community Information, Nodaway County
- Maryville Chamber
- Directions to Maryville
- Cameron - Cameron Regional Medical Center
- Cameron Community Information, Clinton County
- Cameron Chamber, Clinton County
- Directions to Cameron
- Chillicothe - Hedrick Medical Center
- Chillicothe Community Information, Livingston County
- Chillicothe Tourism, Livingston County
- Directions to Chillicothe
Mound City, Mo.
Platte City, Mo.